Proper oral hygiene is especially important when you have braces, and you may need to visit your Calgary dentist more often than usual for check-ups or professional cleanings.
To properly clean your teeth you should brush and floss regularly. In some circumstances, it may also be beneficial to use an interdental toothbrush (such as a Proxabrush), antiseptic mouth rinse (like Peroxyl) and topical fluoride (such as Phos-Flur). We will provide many of these things at your next appointment, don’t forget to stock up!
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush
- Use toothpaste with fluoride
- Place your toothbrush at an angle so you feel the bristles under your gum line
- For manual toothbrushes: brush in small circular motions
- For electric toothbrushes: slowly guide the toothbrush along your teeth and braces, making sure not to miss your gum line
- Completely clean each surface of every tooth
- Don’t miss the areas above, below and between each brace
- Brushing should take 2-3 minutes